We have a lot of almonds and dried figs in store at the moment. These are sold scoop-away style meaning there’s a 5% discount for bringing your own bags.
Dried Figs: 70p / 100g
Almonds: 80p / 100g
Here’s a great recipe that incorporates both of these, and uses the Spelt Shortcrust Pastry recipe available here.
Fig and Almond Tart
See the Spelt Shortcrust Pastry recipe and fill with…
125g raw cane sugar
1tsp ground cinnamon
600g of dried figs
3tbsp local honey
1) Soak figs in boiling water to soften and rehydrate. If it takes your fancy you could add a drop of brandy too.
2) Wizz the almonds in a food processor briefy to crush them. It will work best if there is a mix of well ground almonds and bigger bits.
3) Mix together sugar, almonds and cinnamon. Reserve 4tbsp of this mixture and spread rest over base of the pastry case.
4) Arrange figs on top and drizzle the honey over. Sprinkle the reserved crumble mixture on top.
6) Put the tart on the heated baking sheet and bake for 15 mins. Remove from the oven and sprinkle flaked almonds over, then return to oven for 15-25 mins until cooked, covering the top with baking parchment if it browns too quickly.
Serve with any great additions you may want to indulge in, yogurt or cream for example.